Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Think Before You Speak

In the past four months or so I've worked at Starbucks, I've experienced no end of people who interact with me like I'm expendable, simply because I make their $4 cup of coffee. And if you've ever worked a job which requires you to serve something to another person, you've experienced it as well. No matter how many times I'm treated like a non-person, it always leaves me asking "Why?"

Why must you order from me and never once look me in the eye?

Why must you take on a snotty tone in your voice when I ask if you want your drink hot or iced, as if I should have read your mind for the answer?

Why must you blame me for not taking you $100 bill, when it's not my fault I don't have the equivalent of a bank vault in my cash drawer?

Why must you repeat your order to me like I'm a four-year-old, when I simply didn't hear you the first time?


Why must you treat me like you're better than me, simply because I'm the one who makes your coffee at Starbucks, or your Big Mac at McDonald's, or checks out your groceries at Walmart?

Just because I serve you something, doesn't mean it's okay for you to treat me like crap.

Just take a minute and think before you speak? Ask yourself this question:

Would you like it if someone spoke to you the way you're about to speak to me?

No comments:

Post a Comment