Wednesday, January 4, 2012

I'm Judging You

This image came across my Tumblr dashboard several weeks ago.


Funny, right?

In this day and age, where my Facebook and Twitter are overtaken by grammar and spelling mistakes too numerous to mention, where (or so I am told) people use internet abbreviations such as "LOL" or "BTW" in high school and even college papers, most of my day is spent cringing. I was lucky enough to have a mom who ALWAYS corrected my grammar, (Thanks Mom!) and to go to schools where correct grammar and spelling were a priority for students.

At this point, I'm of the opinion that if I'm lucky enough to date a man who communicates well both verbally and in writing, using correct grammar, spelling, and punctuation, I'd be crazy not to up and marry him. A bit extreme, I know.

But I can't help being judgmental about this. I can't help judging the misspellings of basic words, the blatant run-on sentences, the lack of punctuation or capitalization.

I'm left wondering, when did correct grammar and spelling become an attractive trait, instead of the norm? Or maybe it's always been like this, and I just wasn't paying attention. Maybe we just notice it more often in this age of social media.

The thing is, I can't even be funny about this. It just makes me sad. It makes me sad that more people don't know how to communicate better, and it makes me even sadder that I judge people for it.


(No joke guys, I just sat for 5 minutes debating whether "sadder" or "more sad" was correct. And even now, I'm still not sure I got it right. Talk about irony.)

And now I'm failing as a writer. Because I have no conclusion to this blog. No lesson to learn, no moral of the story to take away.

I guess the conclusion is that I'm judging you for your poor grammar and spelling. And I'm sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment