Thursday, April 30, 2009

Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?

I read the play today. It's by Edward Albee. It's a little bit hard to understand, and afterwards you have to sit with it for a while before you start to understand it. But I liked it. This quote from it is on my mind right now:

...George who is good to me, and whom I revile; who understands me, and whom I push off; who can make me laugh, and I choke it back in my throat; who can hold me, at night, so that it's warm, and whom I will bite so there's blood; who keeps learning the games we play as quickly as I can change the rules; who can make me happy and I do not wish to be happy, and, yes, I do wish to be happy.

...whom I will not forgive for having come to rest; for having seen me and having said: yes, this will do; who has made the hideous, the hurting, the insulting mistake of loving me and must be punished for it.

...who tolerates, which is intolerable; who is kind, which is cruel; who understands, which is beyond comprehension...

No comments:

Post a Comment