Wednesday, May 6, 2009

construction, etc.

The Village of Forest Park is doing construction on our street. Their jackhammering is not only loud and obnoxious, but it also shakes our entire building. The construction also blocks off the parking on our street. Not really a big deal for me, since I'm leaving tomorrow, but still a pain for my roommates who are here all summer.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
And now for something completely different. This will be mostly a rant. So if you don't feel like reading it, I understand.

But you know those people who are really good at reading other people, like studying their facial expressions and actions and then pretending like they know everything about you? I know a person who does that. It's really aggravating and kind of infuriating. He will pass judgement on my entire day based on "hi" and my facial expressions. The worst part? Normally this person is right. I'm not angry about the fact that he is correct. I'm angry about the fact that he can see things about people that they don't necessarily want to share. It's like he steals their secrets. Ok, this analogy is a little explicit, but everytime I'm around him, it's like he's undressed me against my will just because he could. I constantly feel like I'm trying to hide myself around him, but it doesn't work. I don't want him to know the things about me that he knows without me even telling him. And the worst part is, he claims he can't not do this. I don't buy it. I think he can turn this ability off and stop analyzing people. He wonders why people think he's a jerk. It's because he analyzes people and finds out things they don't want him to know. There's a reason people keep secrets. It's because they don't want other people to know.

I don't know, maybe I'm wrong. Maybe he can't really turn this off, maybe this is just who he is. If I'm wrong, tell me. But I don't think I'm wrong. If his analyzing me is making me feel the way I feel, that's not something wrong with me, that's not something I just have to get over. He needs to learn to control his analytical side. It's not appropriate in all contexts. I can't be friends with him anymore. I don't feel safe with him. You're supposed to feel safe with your friends.

1 comment:

  1. Some people are very perceptive, and I suspect that he's right that he can't not do it. What he DOES have control over is TELLING you and everyone else what it is he perceives. That's the inappropriate, obnoxious part.

    -tkm

    ReplyDelete