Saturday, January 5, 2013

The worst noise in the world

Ummmmmm.

And even worse, its brother,

 UHHHHHHHH.

Say it out loud with me.

"Uhhhhhh."

Doesn't it just feel unpleasant to say?

While I realize the point of these two vocalized pauses is to indicate to the listener that you're still speaking, that doesn't change the fact that, aesthetically it's a terrible sound.

I'd rather hear silence than this ugliness: "Ummmm. Uhhhhh."

The worst is when I'm working at Starbucks and I ask people what I can get them, to which they promptly reply: "Uhhhhh."

I'm sorry. We don't have a drink called "Uhhhh." But if we did, it would look like this:

Not very appetizing, is it? Source

Am I alone in this? I can't be the only person who finds their skin crawling every time this sound enters their ears.

I realize this is partly me wearing my judgy pants because I studied music and theatre. I pay attention to the way people speak, probably more than the average bear.

But honestly? I just don't care. There's a reason why they try to break you of saying it when you take a speech class. It's ugly.

So let's recap:
-"Uhhhh" and "Ummmm" are the worst sounds in the world.
- They're not actual words, despite the fact that people try and use them in place of speaking real words.
-It is the auditory equivalent of a mud puddle.
-I wear judgy pants, and I judge you when you say "uh" or "um."

The end.

No comments:

Post a Comment