Thursday, July 26, 2012

Rainy Days

I was going to be so productive, you guys. My shift tonight at my part-time job selling ladies' panties (Raise your hand if you hate the word "panties.") was cancelled, and I was going to get so much done, you guys.

I was going to clean my bedroom, and my bathroom, and maybe even the kitchen.

But then it started raining. I don't know about you, but it starts raining, and I lose all desire for productivity.

What is it about a rainy day that makes us want to crawl in bed and nap, or curl up in our favorite comfy chair with a good book or our favorite movie with a cup of coffee or cocoa or tea?

Is it the darkening sky in the middle of the day? The wonderfully soothing smell of rain? The sound? 

Whatever the cause, it always manages to chase away every last desire in me to do anything resembling work.

So what did I do instead of cleaning?

I sat on my balcony and enjoyed a cup of iced earl grey tea (Yep. Be jealous.) and read my favorite book ever. (Which happens to be White Oleander by Janet Fitch. In case you were wondering.)

I also took a trip to the bookstore, sat in the aisles reading the books, and then purchased my own copy of The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern, instead of still borrowing Emily's copy. (Don't worry, Em! I'm going to mail it back to you! I promise!)

Last but not least, I made myself comfortable on my balcony again where I'm currently taking a break after watching Doctor Who (Season 4, "Silence in the Library," in case you were wondering.) to write this blog and enjoy the deliciously orange evening light.

Eh. That sounds productive, doesn't it? It involves books, and reading, and getting dressed and going places. Yes. Productive.

Now, I know I'm not the only one who suffers from rainy day laziness. What's your vice on a rainy day?

2 comments:

  1. The word 'panties' is TERRIBLE. I far prefer the Australian 'undies' or the British 'knickers'.

    My vice on rainy days? Sitting on the sofa staring out the window while eating chocolate...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like to say 'panties' to deliberately make people feel uncomfortable. Because we all know I'm obnoxious like that. Here, I'll say it again. Panties. Panties, panties, panties.

      Delete