Monday, December 10, 2012

Whoa.

I've known that violence exists in this world. I know that in my own city, people get mugged, raped, shot in the street. We all know that things like this happen. But a great deal of us will never be exposed to such violence. The violence that exists in our own cities will remain an abstract, far away concept, like the things we learned about in history class.

The other night, something happened which made all of this vividly real for me.

Someone was shot on our street this past Friday night, so close we could hear people screaming for help.

Believe me when I tell you, friends, you will never feel so helpless as when you hear someone begging for the help you know you can't give them.

Please, don't ask me if I'm okay, how I'm doing. Don't pray for me because of the neighborhood I live in.

Pray for your own city. Pray for God's mercy.

No comments:

Post a Comment