Friday, October 24, 2008

Little kids are amazing

Yesterday a girl in one of the preschool classrooms I work in asked me, "Why is your hair orange?"
"Why is my hair orange?" I repeated. "Because God made it that way."
"No!" she exclaimed.
"No? Then why is my hair red?"
"Because Jesus died on the cross. See?" And she pointed to the sculpture of Jesus on the cross on the outside of the Chapel.

At first I brushed this off as a cute little kid-ism, and it could certainly be said that she saw the sculpture and saw my hair and then drew a completely unrelated comparison. But I'm starting to see more in this explanation of why my hair is "orange." My hair is certainly this color due to my family heritage (red hair is a recessive trait, both of your parents have to have it, etc.) and also because God made it that way. I could have just as easily have had brown hair, like my mother. But I didn't. He decided to make me look different than a lot of people. This is one of the ways he made me unique. We all have different traits and gifts that God gives us, and this is one of the ways he sets us apart from each other. But we are also set apart in a different way.

He has set us apart through Jesus' death on the cross. We are his own. We are separate and different from everyone else. Holy-"set apart."

I could have taken this way too far, in a direction that doesn't even make sense. But her statement just seemed too profound to be just a little kid's nonsense statement.

2 comments:

  1. That's the beautiful thing about having faith like a child :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that is the coolest thing ever. I don't think I'm ever going to see your hair the same way again. It was beautiful before, and now it's even more so. :)

    ReplyDelete