Thursday, June 4, 2009

My Grandfather

On Monday, we found out that my grandfather has a carcinoid tumor on his liver. According to MayoClinic.com,

"Carcinoid tumors are a slow-growing type of cancer that can arise in several places throughout your body. Carcinoid tumors usually appear in the gastrointestinal tract (appendix, stomach, small intestine, colon, rectum) and in the lungs. But, carcinoid tumors can also begin in other organs, including the ovaries and testes.

Carcinoid tumors rarely cause signs and symptoms until late in the disease. Carcinoid tumors can produce and release hormones into your body that cause signs and symptoms such as diarrhea or skin flushing."

They're not sure what the treatment is going to be. He has an appointment on Tuesday, and that's going to be discussed.

Honestly, I'm not as worried as I was before we found out the results of the biopsy. I think it's because of the phrase "slow-growing." I think how worried I get depends on how sick he gets.

Ok, scratch all of that. I'm actually scared out of my mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment