Monday, May 21, 2012

I ain't been droppin' no eaves.

I was laying in bed last night, (Or should I say, early this morning.) and I realized that it was Sunday and I hadn't posted. I worked ALL FREAKING DAY. So please excuse me if this post is lame and doesn't make sense. I'm in my post-sleep haze, which is always dangerous for writing. You never know what might come out when your filter is down.


Reasons Why I Hate Eavesdropping on Strangers

I realize this list is random, but I did this yesterday, and it was a HUGE mistake. These are the reasons why.

1. Once you find one thing stupid, you'll find everything stupid. This is the biggest one. One idiotic thing turns into another and another and another until even hearing their voices is making your skin crawl.

2. There are some things you can't un-hear. Listening to other people's conversations is dangerous business, and sometimes you might hear things you really regret hearing.

3. You can't interrupt strangers' conversations. It's poor form. Even if they're talking about something awesome to which you have something excellent to say, you can't jump into their conversation. That's like admitting you were listening in.

These are the reasons I've come up with in my post-sleep haze. What have I missed?

2 comments:

  1. Additional point: You'll want to laugh at what they're saying, but can't be a) it's awkward and b) they'll know you were eavesdropping.

    The "can't unhear things" one is an excellent point. A few months ago, I was standing at the tram stop in the city, and this group of business women in their late 30s came up and stood in front of me. Where they started discussing kegel exercises, and how you can do them anywhere. I thought that was bad enough, until one of them said (very loudly, at the crowded tram stop) "Yes, I'm doing mine right now!!" Uh, EW. The guy standing next to me had a coughing fit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ew is right. I made the mistake of eavesdropping again at work today. BAD BAD BAD. I'm fairly certain they were bad-mouthing us baristas while I was RIGHT NEXT TO THEM. People are so stupid.

    ReplyDelete